Opera Southwest is accepting applications for five singers in an Apprentice Artist Program.
Program Dates: March 28th to May 8, 2021
Application Deadline: Monday, April 6, 2020
Positions are open for singers to perform the roles in Rossini’s L’INGANNO FELICE (sung in Italian) to be performed with orchestra on May 8, 2021.
Those same five singers will also cover the leading roles as well as performing supporting roles and singing in the chorus for Mozart’s THE MAGIC FLUTE (sung in English) to be performed with orchestra on April 18m, 21, 23 and 25m, 2021.
- to sing the role of Isabella in L’INGANNO FELICE
- to sing Second Lady, to cover the role of Paminaand to sing in the chorus of MAGIC FLUTE as needed
- to sing the role of Duca Bertrando in L’INGANNO FELICE
- to sing the role of Monastatos, to cover the role of Taminoand to sing in the chorus of MAGIC FLUTE as needed.
- to sing the role of Batonein L’INGANNO FELICE
- to sing the role of Sprecher, to cover the role of Papagenoand to sing in the chorus of MAGIC FLUTE as needed.
Bass Apprentice (1)
- to sing the role of Tarabotto in L’INGANNO FELICE
- to sing the role of Armed Man (bass), to cover the role of Sarastroand to sing in the chorus of MAGIC FLUTE as needed.
Bass Apprentice (2)
- to sing the role of Ormondo in L’INGANNO FELICE
- to perform the role of 3rdSlave, to cover the role of Armed Man (bass), and to sing in the chorus of MAGIC FLUTE as needed.
One round-trip plane ticket, housing, local transportation, and a weekly stipend of $400 are provided.
Audition Dates and locations (you will select 1 location in your application):
Wilmington, DE Monday, May 4
Opera Delaware Studios
4 S Poplar St, Wilmington, DE 19801
Albuquerque, NM Wednesday, May 6
St. Paul Lutheran Church
1100 Indian School Rd NE, Albuquerque, NM 87102
Chicago, IL Saturday, May 9
Irving Park Lutheran Church
3938 W Belle Plaine Ave, Chicago, IL 60618
If you are selected for a live audition, we will also ask for 2 arias, one in Italian. A pianist will be available at no cost to the singer in all three audition locations. Singers may, of course, bring their own accompanists.
All singers will be notified of the results of the live auditions by Monday, May 11.
Singers from outside the United States: If you do not have an existing work visa for the USA, we are unable to sponsor a visa or process your Opera Southwest apprentice application. A tourist visa cannot be used for this program.
Opera Southwest is committed to inclusive casting, considering all ethnicities, races, gender expressions, sexualities, disabilities, religions, socioeconomic statuses, ages, countries of origin, and other identities.
Questions? Email to David Bartholomew Bartholomew_d@msn.com or call at c. 253-278-4849