LA CAMBIALE DI MATRIMONIO and LOHENGRIN Apprentice Audition Announcement:
Opera Southwest is accepting applications for six singers in our seven-week apprentice artist residency (February 17-April 7, 2019).
Positions are open for singers to perform the roles in Rossini’s LA CAMBIALE DI MATRIMONIO (sung in Italian), to be performed with orchestra on March 8, 9, and 10 2019. Those singers will additionally cover the leading roles, sing supporting roles, and sing in the chorus for Wagner’s LOHENGRIN (sung in German) to be performed with orchestra on March 31, April 3, 5, and 7, 2019. Please note: To recreate the atmosphere of Lohengrin’s 1850 premiere, Opera Southwest will perform the Wagner in a bel canto style, with a smaller orchestra and using more lyrical voices.
- to sing the role of Fanny in LA CAMBIALE DI MATRIMONIO
- to sing First Page, to cover the role of Elsa, and to sing in the chorus of LOHENGRIN
Mezzo Soprano Apprentice
- to sing the role of Clarina in LA CAMBIALE DI MATRIMONIO
- to sing the Second, Third or Fourth Page (as appropriate), to cover the role of Ortrud, and to sing in the chorus of LOHENGRIN
- to sing the role of Eduardo Milfort in LA CAMBIALE DI MATRIMONIO
- to sing the role of First Nobleman, to cover the role of Lohengrin, and to sing in the chorus of LOHENGRIN
Baritone Apprentice (1)
- to sing the role of Slook in LA CAMBIALE DI MATRIMONIO
- to sing the role of Third Nobleman, to cover the role of Telramund, and to sing in the chorus of LOHENGRIN
Baritone Apprentice (2)
- to sing the role of Tobia Mill in LA CAMBIALE DI MATRIMONIO
- to sing the role of Herald and to sing in the chorus of LOHENGRIN
- to sing the role of Norton in LA CAMBIALE DI MATRIMONIO
- to sing the role of Fourth Nobleman, to cover the role of Heinrich, and to sing in the chorus of LOHENGRIN
One round-trip plane ticket, housing, local transportation, and a weekly stipend of $385 are provided.
Application Deadline: Monday, April 15, 2018
Application Fee: none
Application Requirements: Contact information and 2 video links of arias (one in German and one in Italian)
Audition Dates and locations:
May 7, 2018, Opera Delaware Studios
4 S Poplar St, Wilmington, DE 19801
Albuquerque, New Mexico:
May 9, 2018, Monte Vista Christian Church
3501 Campus Blvd NE, Albuquerque, NM 87106
May 12, 2018, Irving Park Lutheran Church
3938 W Belle Plaine Ave, Chicago, IL 60618
If you are selected for a live audition, we will ask for 2 contrasting arias, one in German and the other in Italian. A pianist will be available at no cost to the singer in all three audition locations. Singers may, of course, bring their own accompanists.
Program Dates: February 17-April 7, 2019
Maximum age: 35
All singers will be notified of the results of the live auditions by Monday, May 14th 2018.
Singers from outside of the United States: If you do not have an existing work visa for the USA, we are unable to process your Opera Southwest apprentice application. A tourist visa cannot be used for the program because we cannot pay your stipend unless you have a work authorization.
Questions? Email to bartholomew_d [at] msn [dot] com or call 253-278-4849